Support our Ukraine Appeal to help Ukrainian refugees in Berkshire
Russia invaded Ukraine six months ago, triggering the biggest refugee crisis in Europe since WWII. As fighting has intensified, nearly seven million refugees have now fled for their lives.
The UK government has granted visas to roughly 80,000 Ukrainians through the Homes For Ukraine sponsorship scheme, and a growing number of families are continuing to arrive here in Berkshire needing support.
Please donate now to help give Ukrainian refugees in Berkshire the advice and support they urgently need.
Use the links below to jump to different sections:
The current situation in Ukraine
The Russian invasion of Ukraine has caused the biggest refugee crisis in Europe since the Second World War.
The human cost has already been huge, and we call on the UK Government to do everything in it’s power to oppose Russian violence and protect Ukrainian lives.
Nearly seven million people have already fled their homes in Ukraine as a result of this violence, with more leaving every day.
Despite the urgent need, the UK Government have put paperwork before protection and are continuing to make Ukrainian refugees apply for visas.
We believe the UK Government should lead the international effort, welcoming Ukrainian refugees without complicated visas and funding a proper, resourced resettlement scheme like they’ve done successfully with Afghanistan and Syria.
Our message for the UK Government
Refugee Support Group call on the UK Government:
– Introduce a funded Resettlement Scheme for people fleeing Ukraine
– Waive visa requirements for Ukrainian refugees reaching the UK
– Repeal the Nationality and Borders Bill that criminalises refugees like those fleeing Ukraine
Helping refugees in Berkshire since 1994
Refugee Support Group has been helping refugees in Berkshire for nearly 30 years, and we are already supporting refugees from Ukraine arriving here in our community.
Since 1994, we have been helping refugees rebuild their lives in Berkshire. We provide help with asylum applications, learning English, accessing education and healthcare, and finding housing and work. We run social activities, provide mental health support and Befriending, distribute food parcels, and help people to integrate in to their new communities.
In the last year, demand for our services flew by more than 460% before the Ukraine conflict began. Now more than 200 Ukrainian families have arrived in Berkshire, with more continuing to arrive, and we need your help to support them.
How we are supporting Ukrainian refugees
We are providing Ukrainian families with:
- Advice, resources and practical support, including running the Berkshire Sanctuary Hub for Ukrainians
- One-to-one Befriending and Conversation Sessions, to help improve mental health and with learning English
- Signposting to local services and community groups
- Helping match families with hosts, and helping the families navigate the application process
- Social activities including our Friday Befriender Drop In and English For Grannies group
- Providing Ukrainian/English Translation